By Henry Babcock Veatch
With a Preface and Annotated Bibliography by Douglas B. Rasmussen
Publication Date 2003. 6 x 9. 202 pages.
Preface, annotated bibliography, foreword, analytical table of contents, index.
Table of Contents:
Annotated Bibliography xix
1. In Quest of Ethical Knowledge 1
2. The Examined Life:
Back to Socrates and Aristotle 25
3. Why Not Regard Morals and Ethics as
Simply an Art of Living? 50
4. Why Morals and Ethics Are Not Simply An Art of Living 68
5. Failure and Unhappiness:
Are They Our Own Responsibility? 85
6. Bad Luck and the Force of Circumstances
as the Causes of Failure 109
7. But What If God Is Dead? 129
8. Existentialism and the Claims of Irrational Man 148
Analytical Table of Contents 165
Rational Man was originally published in 1962, thirty years before "virtue-ethics" became philosophically fashionable. The Liberty Fund is to be commended for republishing Veatch’s prescient book.
Books & Culture